Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

Linking your myGov account to the ATO

Started ‎31 July 2019 by
Modified ‎21 May 2020 by

In most cases, you can link your myGov account to the ATO without a linking code. To do this, you’ll need your tax file number and details from two of the following documents:

  • a notice of assessment from the last five years
  • a PAYG payment summary from the last two years
  • a super account statement from the last five years
  • a dividends statement from the last two years
  • a Centrelink income statement or payment summary from the last two years
  • your bank account details – if you choose to use your bank account to confirm your identity, it must be an account you had your individual income tax refund paid into last year, or one that has earned interest in the last two years.


If you’re getting an error message, see Troubleshooting for individuals.


If you don’t have enough information or you’ve received the error message ‘ineligible to link’, you’ll need to phone us to get a unique linking code. When you phone, you’ll need to establish your identity. Make sure you have your identification information ready, such as your tax file number, driver's licence or Medicare card.


If you can’t receive security codes, you may need to create a new myGov account and link to the ATO again. See If you can't receive security codes


If you want to access your myGov account from overseas, you may need to phone the myGov helpdesk. See Accessing an existing myGov account overseas


If this information hasn’t answered your question, you can ask the Community or read more at Link your myGov account to the ATO 


Labels (2)