Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

10 weeks and counting

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 263

Replies 1

I submitted an amended tax return for 2016/17 10 weeks ago. Yes I understand it takes time but 10 weeks is unfair. The current status is "balancing account" which it has been for 2 weeks now. My current 2018/19 return is also being held up with the same outcome "balancing account". I've been patient with no answer but I'm starting to get frustrated with being told no one can help me or given the ring around when I've called.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The amendment sounds like it is for a few years ago which might be the hold up. Generally individuals taxpayers have two years from when the notice of assessment was issued to lodge an amendment. If it has been two years the request is more complex and will take longer. 

Usually when you lodge an amendment that will get sorted out before your current return finishes processing. There really is not much you can do but wait until the processing finishes. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

The amendment sounds like it is for a few years ago which might be the hold up. Generally individuals taxpayers have two years from when the notice of assessment was issued to lodge an amendment. If it has been two years the request is more complex and will take longer. 

Usually when you lodge an amendment that will get sorted out before your current return finishes processing. There really is not much you can do but wait until the processing finishes.