Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

ATO Audit Tax Amended Return

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 150

Replies 3

Hi,
I placed an amended return on my individual tax return. I received a call from the ATO stating it's under audit and they will email or mail me the documents that I am required to supply due to verify various claims or deductions I've made in my amended return.

I'm concerned that I may not be able to supply all the documentation that the ATO requests due to not keeping copies or receipts for these claims on deductions.

What are the next steps or what will occur if I can't supply the documentation requested by the ATO? Will I be fined? How much will the fine be? Or what will happen as the next steps for the ATO?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

If you can't substantiate your claims, chances are they will be rejected by the ATO. You might be fined a % of the tax shortfall (depending on whether you are deemed careless, negligent, fraudulent, etc), or they may just get your return right and leave it at that.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 2

If you can't substantiate your claims, chances are they will be rejected by the ATO. You might be fined a % of the tax shortfall (depending on whether you are deemed careless, negligent, fraudulent, etc), or they may just get your return right and leave it at that.

Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 1

Thanks so much MCA.

And one more question, what if they ask for proof of deductions I've already claimed and received a return for And? And again I don't have proof of these? What will be the next steps for the ATO then?
Highlighted

Master

Replies 0

Sama answer as MCA has advised