Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

ATO and/or employer breaking privacy laws?

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 418

Replies 2

I received an email from the ATO yesterday via a new employer.  I'm not really sure how the ATO got my email address since I haven't given it out yet (not that I would give a temporary email to the ATO anyway), so is my employer and/or the ATO in breach of any privacy laws?

I find it curious that it wasn't sent to my previous employment address, since the purpose of the email still applies there.

I don't mind receiving the email.  It certainly was relevant to me.  I'm just concerned about my privacy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jay,

Thanks for your patience while we checked this out with our technical experts. We realise that it’s taken a long time to provide a response, and we apologise for the delay. We can reassure you that we hold your information in the utmost privacy.

The email address used to send the ‘Wait until your payment summary information is tax ready’ emails was obtained from the data your employer reports through Single Touch Payroll (STP). STP is new and has resulted in significant changes to how you receive your payment summary information so we want to make sure that you are aware and know what you need to do this tax time. The email was sent to employees who prepare their own tax returns to let you know that it’s best to wait until your income statement information was finalised as ‘tax ready’ before you lodge.

We have taken on board the concerns which have been raised by using the email address reported through STP and have taken this into account with any future emails we may send to employees regarding STP.

We apologise for any inconvenience and concern receiving the email may have caused you. Thank you for raising this with us.

Thanks, NicM.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jay,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry for the delay in our response.

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you received the 'Wait until your payment summary information is tax ready' email.  We're currently checking this out with the relevant team.   We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, NicM

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @jay,

Thanks for your patience while we checked this out with our technical experts. We realise that it’s taken a long time to provide a response, and we apologise for the delay. We can reassure you that we hold your information in the utmost privacy.

The email address used to send the ‘Wait until your payment summary information is tax ready’ emails was obtained from the data your employer reports through Single Touch Payroll (STP). STP is new and has resulted in significant changes to how you receive your payment summary information so we want to make sure that you are aware and know what you need to do this tax time. The email was sent to employees who prepare their own tax returns to let you know that it’s best to wait until your income statement information was finalised as ‘tax ready’ before you lodge.

We have taken on board the concerns which have been raised by using the email address reported through STP and have taken this into account with any future emails we may send to employees regarding STP.

We apologise for any inconvenience and concern receiving the email may have caused you. Thank you for raising this with us.

Thanks, NicM.