Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Amended tax return timing

Highlighted

Views 301

Replies 1

Hi,

When doing my tax return, I realised I had made a mistake and amended the return. This was about 9 weeks ago. I received a message saying manual processing was required. The return still says 'in progress processing'. I was wondering how long it should take to receive this amended return with manual processing, given its been about 9 weeks. Thankyou!
-Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chilldude22,

Thanks for your question, Luke!

Did you lodge the amendment before the original return was finalised? If so, this can cause delays for both the original and the amended return. Generally speaking, an online amendment is processed within four weeks, but the original must be finalised before the amendment can be processed properly.

This means that if the original is held up for manual processing, the processing time for the amendment will be impacted as well.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out on the progress of both in your statement of account. You can view this in ATO Online Services by navigating to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax. This will show you transactions relating to the original and amended tax returns, so you can get a little bit of an idea of what's going on.

If you are concerned about how long your returns are taking, you are welcome to call us, but please bear in mind that we are not always able to assist with the processing times.

I hope this helps in some way, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chilldude22,

Thanks for your question, Luke!

Did you lodge the amendment before the original return was finalised? If so, this can cause delays for both the original and the amended return. Generally speaking, an online amendment is processed within four weeks, but the original must be finalised before the amendment can be processed properly.

This means that if the original is held up for manual processing, the processing time for the amendment will be impacted as well.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out on the progress of both in your statement of account. You can view this in ATO Online Services by navigating to Tax > Accounts > Tax Accounts > Income Tax. This will show you transactions relating to the original and amended tax returns, so you can get a little bit of an idea of what's going on.

If you are concerned about how long your returns are taking, you are welcome to call us, but please bear in mind that we are not always able to assist with the processing times.

I hope this helps in some way, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rachael B.