Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Re: Car repairs

Views 55

Replies 1

Hi. Can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere, I use my car 3-4 days a week for work (support worker) I drive between at least 4-6 different clients per day. I work for an organisation. My question is, my car needed a significant repair done earlier this year which cost around $800. Can I claim the repair, and how do I know how much of it I can claim ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @cmmercury,

How you claim your repairs depends on which work related car expense method you choose.

If you use the Cents per kilometre method a single rate of 72 cents per kilometre is used for the 2021 finical year. The rate incorporates your decline in value, registration, insurance, maintenance, repairs and fuel costs. This means you can’t add these expenses on top of the rate when use this method.

If you use the Logbook method your claim is based on the work-related portion of your actual expenses. You would add your service repair cost as part of doing your log book calculation. 

Our Work-related car expenses calculator can assist you to work out your deduction.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @cmmercury,

How you claim your repairs depends on which work related car expense method you choose.

If you use the Cents per kilometre method a single rate of 72 cents per kilometre is used for the 2021 finical year. The rate incorporates your decline in value, registration, insurance, maintenance, repairs and fuel costs. This means you can’t add these expenses on top of the rate when use this method.

If you use the Logbook method your claim is based on the work-related portion of your actual expenses. You would add your service repair cost as part of doing your log book calculation. 

Our Work-related car expenses calculator can assist you to work out your deduction.