Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Re: Changes to tax amount

Highlighted

Views 47

Replies 1

Hi guys,
Just wondering, my husband's tax return was in processing stage with credit. Now it has changed back to balancing account with a lesser amount. Does this mean that the tax return was incorrect?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EricaN,

When you lodge your tax return, it goes through many stages and the status may change a number of times. You can check what each status of your tax return means on our website.

If the amount changes, this does not mean that the tax return was incorrect. There are a number of processes that the tax return goes through before we issue a Notice of Assessment and a refund, if required. These processes include balancing the result of your tax return with your accounts with us and other Australian Government agencies. If there are any debts on your account, your refund may be used to reduce or eliminate that debt.

There is more information about tracking the progress of your return on our website.

I hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EricaN,

When you lodge your tax return, it goes through many stages and the status may change a number of times. You can check what each status of your tax return means on our website.

If the amount changes, this does not mean that the tax return was incorrect. There are a number of processes that the tax return goes through before we issue a Notice of Assessment and a refund, if required. These processes include balancing the result of your tax return with your accounts with us and other Australian Government agencies. If there are any debts on your account, your refund may be used to reduce or eliminate that debt.

There is more information about tracking the progress of your return on our website.

I hope this helps.