ATO Community

Claiming Phone Plan on Other Work Deductions for Tax Return

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 1797

Replies 4

I work as a Registered Nurse in the Operating Theatres and part of my duties and contract require me to be 'On Call', contactable via my personal mobile phone and available for the hospital over night during the week. Am I able to claim a percentage of my monthly phone bill as a other work related expense for this as this is required for my employment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 2

HI @JoanneKirk13,

Thanks for posting! If you use your own phones for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction if you paid for these costs (and were not reimbursed by your employer) and have records to support your claims. You'll need to apportion your mobile phone bill between private and work use when you calculate your claim

There are a few different ways you can keep records to demonstrate your expenses:

1. If you only use your phone for work incidentally, and you aren't claiming more than $50 in total, you can claim $0.75 for work calls and $0.10 for work text messages sent from your phone.
  2. If you have a phone plan where you receive an itemised bill, you can work out a percentage of work use over a four-week period and apply this percentage over the full year.
  3. If you don't have an itemised bill, you can calculate your claim using a reasonable basis.

Check out our guide to mobile phone deductions (including examples and calculations) on our website.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Yes, generally 20-25% would be an acceptable amount for being on call etc.

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 2

HI @JoanneKirk13,

Thanks for posting! If you use your own phones for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction if you paid for these costs (and were not reimbursed by your employer) and have records to support your claims. You'll need to apportion your mobile phone bill between private and work use when you calculate your claim

There are a few different ways you can keep records to demonstrate your expenses:

1. If you only use your phone for work incidentally, and you aren't claiming more than $50 in total, you can claim $0.75 for work calls and $0.10 for work text messages sent from your phone.
  2. If you have a phone plan where you receive an itemised bill, you can work out a percentage of work use over a four-week period and apply this percentage over the full year.
  3. If you don't have an itemised bill, you can calculate your claim using a reasonable basis.

Check out our guide to mobile phone deductions (including examples and calculations) on our website.

Thanks!

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi @AmandaE

It states 'you can claim up to $50 without records', if the return is audited how do I support the deduction I claimed?

Do I need to save the text message and call history?

Thanks

Tracy

Taxicorn

Replies 0

I normally ask how many calls that they make per day/week.

If they say about 2-3 per week then I ask how many weeks they worked. (say 50 weeks).

So I normally record 0.75c x 2 x 50 weeks = $75 (claim $50).

I doubt if they would want to see phone records as long as there is evidence of how toy arrived at that figure.

Top Solution Authors