• 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Deductions on Conference Expenses

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 79

Replies 1

Hi guys,

I have a two part question, hoping to get some advise on.
I am flying overseas for a conference related to my field of work. My employer is paying for the conference but I am paying for the flights to get there. I will also be taking a few days annual leave before and after the conference in the same location. My questions are;
1. Would I be able to claim a deduction on the flights as a work related expense.
2. I paid for the flights in the 2018-19 tax year and the conference will be happening on the 2019-20 tax year, which tax year should I claim a deduction if I can?

Appreciate your help with this.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Keskar90 

Try reading this information on conferences and seminars to asses if there is a sufficient connection with this conference and your current work to consider it a deduction. 

The key thing to note is how any travel expenses would need to be apportioned between the work and private components of your trip. For example if 80% of your time away was spent on personal travel and only 20% was work related, you would only claim 20% of the costs as a deduction. 

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Keskar90 

Try reading this information on conferences and seminars to asses if there is a sufficient connection with this conference and your current work to consider it a deduction. 

The key thing to note is how any travel expenses would need to be apportioned between the work and private components of your trip. For example if 80% of your time away was spent on personal travel and only 20% was work related, you would only claim 20% of the costs as a deduction. 

Top Solution Authors