Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Deductions on Conference Expenses

Highlighted

Views 810

Replies 1

Hi guys,

I have a two part question, hoping to get some advise on.
I am flying overseas for a conference related to my field of work. My employer is paying for the conference but I am paying for the flights to get there. I will also be taking a few days annual leave before and after the conference in the same location. My questions are;
1. Would I be able to claim a deduction on the flights as a work related expense.
2. I paid for the flights in the 2018-19 tax year and the conference will be happening on the 2019-20 tax year, which tax year should I claim a deduction if I can?

Appreciate your help with this.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Keskar90 

Try reading this information on conferences and seminars to asses if there is a sufficient connection with this conference and your current work to consider it a deduction. 

The key thing to note is how any travel expenses would need to be apportioned between the work and private components of your trip. For example if 80% of your time away was spent on personal travel and only 20% was work related, you would only claim 20% of the costs as a deduction. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Keskar90 

Try reading this information on conferences and seminars to asses if there is a sufficient connection with this conference and your current work to consider it a deduction. 

The key thing to note is how any travel expenses would need to be apportioned between the work and private components of your trip. For example if 80% of your time away was spent on personal travel and only 20% was work related, you would only claim 20% of the costs as a deduction.