Announcements
COVID-19 update: We’ve published information on the Jobkeeper payment, early access to super, and cash boost for businesses and employers. You can also check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Didnt checked tax Free Threshold, How to claim the withholding TAX back?

Views 3586

Replies 2

Hello there,

When I got hired into a new job I didnt have much understanding of TAX free Threshold and I selected NO as an answer which means; I do not wish to claim TAX free Threshold. But now at the end of financial year; My co-worker and I compared our group certificates and payslips to check the earnings and TAX withheld but I paid heaps more than my co-worker although we earned same amount in that year. I am now worried, and unsure how to fix that? My friend told me you can claim that back in your current Income TAX Statement. Can anyone please advise on that ?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ahmadraza0001,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you're eligible to claim the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration when you first start work with an employer.

If you need to advise your employer of a change to your information previously reported in your TFN declaration, you can complete a withholding declaration and give it to your employer or payroll area.

When you lodge your income tax return, we'll calculate your total income from all sources and allowable deductions to work out your taxable income and the amount of tax you're required to pay. If you've had too much tax withheld during the year, you'll receive a refund.

Once your return is processed and we've issued your Notice of assessment and if you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm (AEDT) Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

When you lodge your tax return it will calculate EXACTLY how much tax you should have paid regardless of if you chose Yes or No.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ahmadraza0001,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you're eligible to claim the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration when you first start work with an employer.

If you need to advise your employer of a change to your information previously reported in your TFN declaration, you can complete a withholding declaration and give it to your employer or payroll area.

When you lodge your income tax return, we'll calculate your total income from all sources and allowable deductions to work out your taxable income and the amount of tax you're required to pay. If you've had too much tax withheld during the year, you'll receive a refund.

Once your return is processed and we've issued your Notice of assessment and if you have further queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm (AEDT) Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.