Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Re: Email "We need extra time to process it"

Initiate

Views 892

Replies 8

I submitted my tax return on 21st July before I (stupidly) amended the occupation field on 23rd. They are both sitting in 'balancing account' .  The 'effective date' in accounts shows a refund of over 2k, which was expected, and it has been there since 24th July.   The amended return 'effective date' says 23rd November 2020.  Given we're still in July 2020, does this mean I will need to wait 4 months for my refund?  I received an email today from the ATO to say they need more time to finalise it and to check the progress on mygov.  I've done this, hoping to find a little more info as to why there are delays and the expected time frames, but the only other date it shows is November. Has anyone else faced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Superuser

Replies 5

Your return won't take 4 months. As an individual who lodged their own tax return your statutory due date to lodge your return is the 31st October 2020. The statutory payment due date is theb 21 days after this. The statutory due dates are the latest date that you can lodge and pay for the 2020 year. Because your amendment is still processing the system defaults to these dates. You'll get an amended notice of assessment sent to your My gov account once it's finalised. It shouldn't take much longer than a couple of weeks
8 REPLIES 8

Community Support

Replies 7

Hey @90210,

(amazing username, by the way!) Smiley LOL

Thanks for posting to us.

It normally takes about two weeks to process an original tax return (ie your first submission of your tax return for the financial year) once we receive it.
If you lodged an amended return to fix a mistake recorded on the original, it normally takes four weeks for the amended return to be processed. However if you've lodged the amended return prior to the original being processed in our system, then this may cause an estimated extended delay. This may not be an entirely accurate projection through, so perhaps check again after a number of weeks to allow the usual four week amended return timeframe.

It might be of interest to you to know that we have a thread dedicated to discussing the processing of 2020 tax returns where you'd be able to enquire more on processing times and your lodgement status.

All the best!

RachATO

Initiate

Replies 6

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it.  I don't meant to sound ungrateful as I know there is a huge workload right now and everyone is stressed more than usual.  I have viewed that page, but to be honest, 4 months is not a reasonable time frame for anyone to wait for their refund.  I've been checking for updates daily, so to be advised I should check after a number of weeks is disappointing.  4 months makes a world of difference when you need the funds a home loan application :/

And I know, it's not your fault, which is why I appreciate you responding, thank you. I'm just frustrated with the system when I tried to do the right thing.  The dud year that is 2020, continues...

Most helpful response

Superuser

Replies 5

Your return won't take 4 months. As an individual who lodged their own tax return your statutory due date to lodge your return is the 31st October 2020. The statutory payment due date is theb 21 days after this. The statutory due dates are the latest date that you can lodge and pay for the 2020 year. Because your amendment is still processing the system defaults to these dates. You'll get an amended notice of assessment sent to your My gov account once it's finalised. It shouldn't take much longer than a couple of weeks

Superuser

Replies 2

The 21st is a Saturday which is why you're seeing the 23rd November as the effective date

Initiate

Replies 1

Thank you, this makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Initiate

Replies 0

An update for anyone who is reading these forums and has a similar question, I have just checked mygov again this evening, and noticed I have a new status, changing from 'balancing account' to 'in progress'. It also says in the accounts section, a new effective date of 6th August, with a disclaimer that it might be 14 days either side of that date.  At least it won't be a few months away!  I can deal with that Smiley Happy   Crossing my fingers it goes straight through.

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @90210,

Sounds good from what you said. Hope you got a good outcome Smiley Happy

Initiate

Replies 0

Refund received overnight (morning of 6th August) as per the estimated date mentioned earlier. Thanks to those who responded!

And on that note, I'm off to the Peach Pit Smiley Happy