Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Freelance writer with an ABN

Highlighted

Views 4322

Replies 3

I have no ther income source and I am a freelance writer. This company asked me to do freelance work for them and I needed to get an ABN so I got an ABN. I did two articles for them and sent them an invoice via email and they credited it to my savings acount. While lodging my returns through mygov.. i am confused as this income is PSI and on the psi tool i passed the test so when I select psi it tells me to select buss income or losses but I dont have depreciation etc so how do I go about it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Guest contributor

Replies 0

Hi @Confused14,

Thanks for the additional information - it sounds like you're trying to lodge through myTax. The instructions for PSI reporting can be found here.  

However, generally speaking you will need to report the details of your PSI activity and the income earned and deductions claimed. If you have no deductions you can fill it in as $0.00. 

If you have further queries you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator who can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Guest contributor

Replies 2

Hi @Confused14,

Welcome to our Community!

We're just wanting to clarify with you, are you not sure how to fill in the tax return or is it more that you are not sure what deductions you can claim?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 1

i am not sure how to file the returns and i do not want to file any deductions, i am confysed about how to cause if I select the sole trader option and tick the Business income or loss then under personalise returns I need to enter bussiness income and expenses, but I have nothing to fill and then if I fill up business income then the ato website speicfies that what ever income I earn through skills is PSI, so i dont know and I pass the PSI test tool and hence the psi rules do not aaply to me 

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Guest contributor

Replies 0

Hi @Confused14,

Thanks for the additional information - it sounds like you're trying to lodge through myTax. The instructions for PSI reporting can be found here.  

However, generally speaking you will need to report the details of your PSI activity and the income earned and deductions claimed. If you have no deductions you can fill it in as $0.00. 

If you have further queries you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator who can walk you through the steps over the phone.

Hope this helps.