Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Help

Highlighted

Views 1398

Replies 3

I started my current job when I was 15 (3 years ago) when I supplied them with my tax file number I had no idea what that meant so I just used the one from my group certificate from my previous job. I have now realised that I never applied for a tax file number and it was a default one used for people under 18. I am applying for a TFN in the morning but was wondering if my work will change it over? Since my birthday last month I have been getting taxed half of my pay and can claim it back later on but will I be able to get this back if it was the incorrect TFN? Thankyou in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi,

In your case your employer has followed the ATO guidelines when an employee does not provide a valid tfn.  

ATO Link -  Employer Obligations 

Your employer has used an authorised ATO default number in place of a valid tfn, and it just may be that default number that your previous employer used and that you have now supplied to your current employer.

You can see what they may have done on the ATO website at - PAYG-payment-summary

Upon providing your new employer with a valid tfn, they will then start to apply the relevant taxation rates to your pay.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

There is no "default' TFN for anybody.

Each TFN is unique regardless of age etc.

Not exactly sure what TFN you supplied but it may have registered as a void one and you are being taxed as if you never provided one. Best to call and speak to the ATO explaining everything and provide some personal details.

Call them on 13 28 61 

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi,

In your case your employer has followed the ATO guidelines when an employee does not provide a valid tfn.  

ATO Link -  Employer Obligations 

Your employer has used an authorised ATO default number in place of a valid tfn, and it just may be that default number that your previous employer used and that you have now supplied to your current employer.

You can see what they may have done on the ATO website at - PAYG-payment-summary

Upon providing your new employer with a valid tfn, they will then start to apply the relevant taxation rates to your pay.

Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Thanks MVF !

Didn't know what I was thinking off !

Comletely forgot about those default ones...