ATO Community

Lodging a Non-Lodgment Advice from overseas?

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 999

Replies 1

Dear all,

I am a foreigner that studied in Australia in 2017, and lived as part-year resident for 6 months during the 2017-2018 fiscal year. During that time, I was active as a sole-trader, but earned much less than the tax-free threshold of $15,832 for 6-month part-year residents.

Since I have no tax-deductions to claim, it seems to me that all I need send the ATO is a Non-Lodgment Advice for the past FY, but since I left Australia without activating myTax (meaning I cannot use it from overseas) I am not really sure how I should go about this. Surely there must be a better way to go about this than to print the form and have it sent halfway across the globe or pay an agency to declare that I have nothing to declare?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Waldo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Waldo

Welcome to our Community!

If you had an ABN and were trading as a sole trader, even though you earned under the threshold you will still be required to lodge a tax return - this is because you were seen to be running a business. 

You can lodge your return online via myGov and report your business income in the Business income or losses section. You can find information to help complete your return in the myTax 2018 instruction guide.

If you're not able to log into your myGov account as you are now overseas and you don't have access to your Australian mobile number, you can create a new myGov account and relink to ATO online services. You'll need to use a different email address than the one you previously registered.

When completing your return in myTax, you can use the Live chat function to the right of the screen to share your screen and connect with an ATO officer. Alternatively, you can phone or Skype us from overseas between 8am - 5pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT) and let the operator know you're calling from overseas to request a callback.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Waldo

Welcome to our Community!

If you had an ABN and were trading as a sole trader, even though you earned under the threshold you will still be required to lodge a tax return - this is because you were seen to be running a business. 

You can lodge your return online via myGov and report your business income in the Business income or losses section. You can find information to help complete your return in the myTax 2018 instruction guide.

If you're not able to log into your myGov account as you are now overseas and you don't have access to your Australian mobile number, you can create a new myGov account and relink to ATO online services. You'll need to use a different email address than the one you previously registered.

When completing your return in myTax, you can use the Live chat function to the right of the screen to share your screen and connect with an ATO officer. Alternatively, you can phone or Skype us from overseas between 8am - 5pm, Monday to Friday (AEDT) and let the operator know you're calling from overseas to request a callback.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors