Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Medicare Letter of Eligibility

Initiate

Views 7254

Replies 3

Last year I had to pay a penalty on my taxes because I did not have medical insurance or Medicare.

In October, I went and signed up for Medicare (19 October 2017) and then Medibank (the same day or next day).  But I was being overcharged for insurance due to the fact that I didn't have a Letter of Eligibility from Medicare.  

On January 29, 2018 I took a day off of work and went and got my letter from Medicare.  That was to bring my insurance premiums down.

Am I allowed to adjust my last tax return (and maybe get a refund) on what I was penalised now that I have that letter from Medicare?

I'm also unsure how to go about this years taxes as I've never had to deal with them as an international permanent resident/NZ citizen.  Due to the penalties, I still owe the ATO a few hundred dollars from last year, even though I've been paying on that debt every month.

Thanks in advance,

Peggy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 1

This does not have anything to do with your last tax return, as at the time you did not have private health insurance and the medicare levy surcharge still applies.

The reduction in medicare levery surcharge only applies from the point in time that you actually acquired private health insurance.

ATO 13 28 61

3 REPLIES 3

Initiate

Replies 0

The Lifetime Health Cover applicable date is 19 October 2017.

Most helpful response

Anonymous

Replies 1

This does not have anything to do with your last tax return, as at the time you did not have private health insurance and the medicare levy surcharge still applies.

The reduction in medicare levery surcharge only applies from the point in time that you actually acquired private health insurance.

ATO 13 28 61

Initiate

Replies 0

Right.  OK, thanks for that.  I appreciate the help.