Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Medicare Levy Surcharge

Highlighted

Views 94

Replies 3

Hi All,

I am an Australian Tax resident for the period 1st July 2019 to 30th June 2020 and with 35 years of age. I am holding Medicare card from Feb 2019 and do not have any private health Insurance.

Now I am filing tax returns for this year and would like to know, do I need to pay Medicare levy charge for the full financial year or only from Feb 2020 to June 2020(as I heard that, you do not need to pay Medicare Levy surcharge for the first year from your medicare start date even though you do not have private insurance.)

We have combined family income more than 200k

Please help me on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @nagmittapalli 

To work out how much your Medicare Levy Surcharge will be you can use our income tax estimator

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ari

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @nagmittapalli 

To work out how much your Medicare Levy Surcharge will be you can use our income tax estimator

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ari

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

You mean, since I do not private insurance for the complete year, I need to pay Medicare Levy surchagre for the full year and medicare start date does not matter here.

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @nagmittapalli

To establish when the Medicare levy surcharge kicks in for you see Income thresholds and rates for the Medicare levy surcharge. It explains it best. Remember you are being assessed on the 2020 Tax Year not the previous one.