Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Notice of amended assessment

Initiate

Views 246

Replies 6

Hi , recently my housemate made an adjustment to her tax for this last tax year. The agent had forgot to put  , " Australian resident for tax purposes , on the return . She went in to her Mygov acc and amended that on Feb5 this year and just today received this notice of amended assessment .  Previous it was looking like she had to pay tax of $2344 , but she has been having tax withdrawn by her boss using the PAYG system as she is an employee. We are trying to figure out what this amendment means . Is the bottom line " outcome of this notice " mean that she has a $0 tax bill or does it mean that nothing has changed and she still owes the $2344 ? 

Your previous taxable income was $7,213
Your amended taxable income is $7,213
Tax on your taxable or net income 2,344.22
Amended assessed tax payable 2,344.22
Less tax offset refunds 0.00
Result of this notice 2,344.20
Result of previous notice for the period 2,344.20 DR
Difference between this amended notice and your previous notice 0.00
Outcome of this notice 0.00

Total amount payable/refundable Refer to Statement of Account
Notice of amended assessment - year ended 30 June 2020

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 5

Hi @Carvets 

That means the amendment has not changed the outcome and resulted in the same tax amount payable by your mate. You can seek a professional advice from a tax practitioner to look into it for her or contact the ATO for further explanation

Hope this help 

6 REPLIES 6

Most helpful response

Replies 5

Hi @Carvets 

That means the amendment has not changed the outcome and resulted in the same tax amount payable by your mate. You can seek a professional advice from a tax practitioner to look into it for her or contact the ATO for further explanation

Hope this help 

Initiate

Replies 4

Hi again , in looking over my friends income tax Statement and trying to figure out why she is receiving a such a large tax bill $2344 on an income of only $7213 , i have noticed that only $535 has been entered as salary or wages and $6958 has been entered as PSI  ( Personal Services Income ) . I think the people who have lodged her return may have made a mistake as she has only ever been an employee , firstly as a kitchen hand  which accounts for the first amount and then at a Therapeutic Massage Center  where she earned the second amount . Is it possible that the $6958 should have been entered as wages or salary rather than PSI and would that have made a difference to her tax bill ?

Thanks again.

Replies 3

Well PSI does not affect you if you're an employee receiving only salaries and wages  . I would be happy to assist in fixing the issue, but i am not sure if the community here allow me to send you my contact details

Initiate

Replies 2

Thanks for your reply and and offer , i'm not sure of the rules here either . I guess we will have to try to work through it with whatever info we can get from here. Another thing i am curious about though  is , when i amended her return online to show that she was an Australian Resident for Tax Purposes and i go to view the amended tax return , when i go to the bottom of the page where it says " Amend " and i scroll down , and where it asks , " Were you an Australian resident for tax purposes from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020? "  It still shows " NO " but i changed it to YES previously and if i now check  YES  and  hit the Estimate box i get this result .

Estimate

Estimated tax amount:
$0.00
Balance of previous assessment:
$2,344.20 DR
Difference between this tax estimate and previous assessment:
$2,344.20 CR

I'm pretty sure this is what i did last time but i dont know why the amended return is still showing as No . It's difficult for my friend as she is Japanese and needs an interpreter to help on the phone with the ATO and the ATO wont let me ask any questions or help her during the call . In the end i guess we may have to try that again. 

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Carvets

It sounds like your friend is being taxed as a non-resident.

The reason why their residency may not be updating could be because of the visa type they hold or have held. Some visa information cannot be updated by you or us and instead we rely on the information given directly to us from the Department of Home Affairs.

If you're trying to call us we can only speak to the account holder or an authorised person listed on their account. We have a Translating and Interpreting Service your friend can contact us on.

With regard to seeking assistance elsewhere you should be mindful of keeping your information safe and secure.

Please take a look at our website to contact us and Keeping your TFN secure.

Ari

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks Ari , yes this seems to be the case , we had previously contacted the ATO and used the Interpreter Service and the advice was to go into her MyGov and amend her return to show that she was an Australian Resident . She made the amendment online and it seems to have taken care of the PAYG  Instalment Activity Statement bill she received for the last quarter of last year . We contacted her Tax Agent today and asked them to look into the $2344 tax bill for 2019/2020 and they think there has been a mistake on the ATO end . Maybe its as you said , the system not reflecting her status correctly . She is on a Student Visa . Anyhow they said they would look into it but it may take 3- 6 months to get an answer.  So i guess we just have to wait to find out where the mistake was made and for it to be corrected. 

Thanks for your help .