Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Receiving Money from Overseas

Views 153

Replies 2

I am currently living abroad. A friend of mine has asked me to help purchases salvages vehicles from Australia. He deposits the full amount of funds from an overseas business account (in the country I am living in), ranging from $5000 to $30000, into my personal account in Australia on an irregular basis. I transfer funds to the bank accounts of vehicle businesses in Australia.

I was wondering should/how I would declare this on My Tax Return, as it is not a form of income for me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @TaxTimeTerry,

Are you a non- resident for tax purposes? Any interest you earn on your bank account would automatically be taxed at 10%. As long as you have informed the bank that you are a non-resident. I have linked to this information below.

Non-resident withholding tax on interest

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @TaxTimeTerry,

Are you a non- resident for tax purposes? Any interest you earn on your bank account would automatically be taxed at 10%. As long as you have informed the bank that you are a non-resident. I have linked to this information below.

Non-resident withholding tax on interest

Replies 0

@KylieATO How does this situation work with a HELP loan?