ATO Community

Refund delays

Ask a question

Views 591

Replies 2

Hi guys
Its been 4mths and still haven't recieved my refund, I'm aware that it is under review, but I think 4mths is to long.
I'm told not to ring the ATO, but I can't get any answers about it.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Regards Jase.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @kiwijase68,

Thanks for getting in touch - we're sorry to hear about the delay to your return. We agree that four months is a long time, so we wanted to provide some general information on why returns may be delayed.

Some of the most common reasons for delay are:

• We need to check information in your return. We may need to contact payers, financial institutions, private health insurers or you to confirm or cross-check information in your return. You don’t need to take any action – if we need any additional information from you, we’ll let you know.
    If we need information from a third party to process your return, we're reliant on them providing it within a timely manner.

• You’ve lodged tax returns for several years all at once. We need to process all of your returns so we can make sure your account is up to date before we issue any refunds or requests for payment.

• You’ve entered into a debt or bankruptcy arrangement. If you’ve declared insolvency or entered into a Part IX agreement, we need to undertake additional checks before we can finalise your return. Check to make sure your insolvency practitioner advises us of your situation before you lodge your tax return.

• We need to check in with other Australian Government agencies (like Centrelink or the Child Support Agency). We’re required to pay part or all of your tax refund to other agencies if there are outstanding amounts, and we’ll write to let you know if this is the case.

We'd need to ask your personal questions to confirm your identity and access your account, which we strongly advise against doing on a public platform like Community. Without accessing your account, we can't explain the reason behind the delay - every return is different.

If your return is under review, an officer should have been allocated to your case and been in touch to let you know any reasons for delay. If you haven't heard from us at all, we'd encourage you to phone us on 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday to follow up.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @kiwijase68,

Thanks for getting in touch - we're sorry to hear about the delay to your return. We agree that four months is a long time, so we wanted to provide some general information on why returns may be delayed.

Some of the most common reasons for delay are:

• We need to check information in your return. We may need to contact payers, financial institutions, private health insurers or you to confirm or cross-check information in your return. You don’t need to take any action – if we need any additional information from you, we’ll let you know.
    If we need information from a third party to process your return, we're reliant on them providing it within a timely manner.

• You’ve lodged tax returns for several years all at once. We need to process all of your returns so we can make sure your account is up to date before we issue any refunds or requests for payment.

• You’ve entered into a debt or bankruptcy arrangement. If you’ve declared insolvency or entered into a Part IX agreement, we need to undertake additional checks before we can finalise your return. Check to make sure your insolvency practitioner advises us of your situation before you lodge your tax return.

• We need to check in with other Australian Government agencies (like Centrelink or the Child Support Agency). We’re required to pay part or all of your tax refund to other agencies if there are outstanding amounts, and we’ll write to let you know if this is the case.

We'd need to ask your personal questions to confirm your identity and access your account, which we strongly advise against doing on a public platform like Community. Without accessing your account, we can't explain the reason behind the delay - every return is different.

If your return is under review, an officer should have been allocated to your case and been in touch to let you know any reasons for delay. If you haven't heard from us at all, we'd encourage you to phone us on 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday to follow up.

Thanks.

Replies 0

Hi AmandaE
Thank you for your response, I'll call them monday.
Top Solution Authors