• 207 Online
  • 20241 Members
  • 22557 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Resident or none resident?

Ask a question

Views 52

Replies 2

I'm hoping for some clarificartion. I came to australia on a Working Holiday visa Nov 2017 and applied for a defacto/partner visa June 2018. I was informed my bridiging visa would only come into affect once my current WH visa had expired in Nov 2018 and would automatically transfer over. This FY I'm unclear as to what my tax residency status is. In terms of the resides tests, I permanently plan to stay in Australia and have been in the country for more than 183 days thus meaning I should be a resident? However, some people have told me that I will remain on the Working Holiday tax rate until my partner visa hopefully comes through which could take 2-3 years?

Any clarification would be great as I'm unsure what my employers should be taxing me/how I should submit my tax return?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kbfuture,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors used when working out if someone is a resident of Australia for tax purposes. You can use our Are you a resident decision tool to help you work it out. You will be asked a series of questions and you'll receive a result based on the answers you provide and you can print a copy for your record.

As advised by @macfanboy when your circumstances change you'll need to notify your employer by completing a withholding declaration to ensure you're taxed correctly. However, when you lodge your income tax return, if you've had too much tax withheld during the year you'll receive a refund.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

If you apply for a de-facto visa and receive a bridging visa, working holiday maker tax rates won't apply to you.

Also if you have advised your employer that you are either non resident or on a working hoilday visa and your circumstances have changed then you would need to give them a withholding declaration form to let them know of the change so you are taxed correctly - www.ato.gov.au/forms/withholding-declaration/

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kbfuture,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors used when working out if someone is a resident of Australia for tax purposes. You can use our Are you a resident decision tool to help you work it out. You will be asked a series of questions and you'll receive a result based on the answers you provide and you can print a copy for your record.

As advised by @macfanboy when your circumstances change you'll need to notify your employer by completing a withholding declaration to ensure you're taxed correctly. However, when you lodge your income tax return, if you've had too much tax withheld during the year you'll receive a refund.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors