Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Tax return taking longer than 8 months

Views 307

Replies 2

Hi everyone. I put in my tax return through myGov in early October last year and later in October I received a couple of emails saying that it would take extra time to process. I haven't had an update since then.

I've checked with myGov and it says "Your tax return is taking longer to issue as manual processing is required". I called the ATO and it was an automated system that said my tax return is taking longer than 30 calandar days to process and that I will be contacted if they need more information. I was then given the option to either hang up or to update my contact details, but I've already checked in myGov and they are correct. There didn't seem to be an option to talk to someone about the tax return itself, or at least I couldn't find it.

Is it normal for a return with manual processing to take so long? Should I keep waiting or is there a number I can call? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @WaitForReturn,

There are some instances where tax returns take longer then the service standard to process. However, I would recommend you speaking to a representative in regards to your return as it does sound like we will require more information from you.

I apologise that you have found it difficult to get through to someone if you call the number listed under Individual Enquiries wait for the pre-recorded message to finish and when asked for your TFN do not enter it in, select option 3 and then option 2 that will transfer you through to a representative.

I hope this helps.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @WaitForReturn,

There are some instances where tax returns take longer then the service standard to process. However, I would recommend you speaking to a representative in regards to your return as it does sound like we will require more information from you.

I apologise that you have found it difficult to get through to someone if you call the number listed under Individual Enquiries wait for the pre-recorded message to finish and when asked for your TFN do not enter it in, select option 3 and then option 2 that will transfer you through to a representative.

I hope this helps.

Replies 0

Thank you @RenATO. Your advice was very helpful.