Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Tax returns on PayPal purchases

Views 219

Replies 1

hi just wondering if I would be able to claim on purchases that I have paid through PayPal.

in my case, I am a chef.

I recently made couple of purchases through PayPal to buy a knife from a person( not business, just private) overseas such as US and Eu.

would I be able to claim those? Because the payment doesn't state that it's a knife or anything. What can I do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hentaides

You can claim deductions for work-related expenses that you make such as buying a knife for use in your work as a chef.

It doesn't matter how you purchase these but you must have a record to prove it.

In your case of buying a knife online from a private person and paying via Paypal you would need to keep a copy of the advertisement for the knife and a copy of your Paypal receipt or payment confirmation. I'd also recommend taking screenshots of any communication you had with the seller. You want clear evidence that the item is a knife and the price it is being bought for. This will support it being a work-related expense.

I hope that's clear enough.

You can read our guide for hospitality workers, what you can claim at tax time online here.

RichATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hentaides

You can claim deductions for work-related expenses that you make such as buying a knife for use in your work as a chef.

It doesn't matter how you purchase these but you must have a record to prove it.

In your case of buying a knife online from a private person and paying via Paypal you would need to keep a copy of the advertisement for the knife and a copy of your Paypal receipt or payment confirmation. I'd also recommend taking screenshots of any communication you had with the seller. You want clear evidence that the item is a knife and the price it is being bought for. This will support it being a work-related expense.

I hope that's clear enough.

You can read our guide for hospitality workers, what you can claim at tax time online here.

RichATO