Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Under review past effective date

Initiate

Views 1129

Replies 3

Hi,
I processed a amended return on 25 August and it went from Processing to Under Review. It has been Under Review since then. The effective date in Tax - Accounts - Tax Accounts - Income Tax etc says the effective date is 8 September (today), but I haven't received any other updates, or communication from ATO regarding this. And in the progress section it still says Under Review...

What does this mean? I know it means you're manually reviewing my return, however, if the effective date is effective today, but it's also under review in the progress section on my application, what does it mean?

Will my effective date be updated? Or how long can it take for this to update, progress or receive an update from ATO?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Pigman

You can ignore the effective date if that has passed. That is usually an indication of when we aim to have your tax return processed but since its now under review you can expect that would possibly change at some stage.

If you lodged your amendment electronically our service commitment to have that processed is within 20 business days of lodgement. If we require information we will contact you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Ari

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Pigman

You can ignore the effective date if that has passed. That is usually an indication of when we aim to have your tax return processed but since its now under review you can expect that would possibly change at some stage.

If you lodged your amendment electronically our service commitment to have that processed is within 20 business days of lodgement. If we require information we will contact you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Ari

Initiate

Replies 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes that's correct I did lodge it electronically. So realistically I should have a response by 15 September? Such will be the 30th day since I lodged my return.

Is there a chance it will go past 30 days? If so, how long after that? Also how reliable is the 30 day response turn m?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Pigman,

The service standard timeframes are based on the average amount of time it usually takes for an amended tax return to go through it's relevant series of checks.

On occasion it may take longer, depending on an individual's circumstances (eg if the lodger is affiliated with a business, or if there are other third parties involved) or if we have to process part of the return manually. So there's no firm answer as to how long a delay may take (if it happens), as it comes down to what needs to occur for the processing to be finalised.

Everything will run it's course as needed and hopefully it's all completed for you by the anticipated date Smiley Happy

RachATO