ATO Community

Am I getting taxed correctly?

Ask a question

Views 402

Replies 1

Hi everyone,
For the last 7 months i have been working at a new company and my tax seems to be a little too high. I was born in Australia and gave my tfn to my employer when i started. I also have a HECS debt but do not earn enough to pay that back yet as im still studying. I get paid monthly and am casual. My monthly earnings are roughly $3500 and i seem to he getting taxed at 15%.
For example my last pay slip showed my earnings of $3249.39 with a tax of $542. With a gross annual earning of $22136.46 and tax of $3333.
Looking online it seems i should be getting taxed less than this.
I saw somehwere that said international workers on a visa get taxed 15% could it be that my employer filled out the wrong form when doing my tax?
If so will i get the extra tax i pay back in my tax return or not? Thats my main worry.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanksl you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AndrewW,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, your employer will withhold tax based on the information you've provided in your TFN declaration form when you first started employment.

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes and you selected 'Yes' to claiming the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration form, your employer should be withholding at the tax-free threshold rate of the tax tables.

You can use out tax withheld calculator for individuals to work out the tax withheld amount, alternatively you may wish to discuss this directly with your employer or payroll area.

If too much tax has been withheld from your payments during the financial year, when you lodge your income tax return any overpayment will be refunded to you.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AndrewW,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, your employer will withhold tax based on the information you've provided in your TFN declaration form when you first started employment.

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes and you selected 'Yes' to claiming the tax-free threshold on your TFN declaration form, your employer should be withholding at the tax-free threshold rate of the tax tables.

You can use out tax withheld calculator for individuals to work out the tax withheld amount, alternatively you may wish to discuss this directly with your employer or payroll area.

If too much tax has been withheld from your payments during the financial year, when you lodge your income tax return any overpayment will be refunded to you.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors