ATO Community

Australian Resident

Views 482

Replies 1

I moved to Australia in late January 2018 and am working on a 457 Visa. I started work in February for a USA firm on contract with the Australian government. Do I have to file an Australian tax return covering the period of February to the end of June 2018? Am I subject to the Medicare levy? I have private health coverage since coming to Australia and my wife is an Australian citizen with Medicare coverage through Defense Health.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GBraun,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide a definite answer.

You can use our Are you a resident decision tool and find examples of common situations on our website to help you work it out. If you're unable to determine your residency for tax purposes, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are a free service which we aim to response to within 28 days from receiving the request.

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you'll be required to lodge an Australian income tax return and report income you've received. You may be subject to the 2% Medicare levy, unless you meet one of the exempt categories.

If you're a non-resident of Australian for tax purposes, you're only required to lodge a tax return if you receive Australian-sourced income.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GBraun,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide a definite answer.

You can use our Are you a resident decision tool and find examples of common situations on our website to help you work it out. If you're unable to determine your residency for tax purposes, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are a free service which we aim to response to within 28 days from receiving the request.

If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you'll be required to lodge an Australian income tax return and report income you've received. You may be subject to the 2% Medicare levy, unless you meet one of the exempt categories.

If you're a non-resident of Australian for tax purposes, you're only required to lodge a tax return if you receive Australian-sourced income.

Thanks, JodieH.