Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Medicare levy exemption

Highlighted

Views 1162

Replies 1

Hello there, 

i am seeking some answers regarding the Medicare Levy exemption.

I am currently on a 457 visa.

As such, i 

- have a VISITOR health cover (requirement for my visa)

- am not entiltled for Medicare as not permanent resident.

Due to points above, I've always been able to get a Medicare Levy Exemption statement during these years, covering everytime the WHOLE financial year.

In March, I've applied for my permament residency.

Due to this, my status has changed from NOT being eligible to ELIGIBLE for MEDICARE as also applicants that have not had PR processed yet can access MEDICARE.

I've requested my Medicare Levy Exemption statement (as i still don't have medicare) and this time, statement is covering only up to March, moment that' I've applied for PR.

This means, from my understanding, that i am asked to start contribute since then, even though i don't have MEDICARE.

Due MY VISA (still 457 untill PR is eventually confirmed), i cannot change from a VISITOR to a NON VISITOR health cover with my private insurance.

This means that, even if i apply for medicare, i cannot access the REBATE (because it does not apply to visitor covers)

BUT 

in the meantime, I have to pay the LEVY even though my status doesn't allow me to access to a non VISITOR covers untill on a 457 visa (requirements for my visa).

Shouldn't the Medicare Levy Exemption statement still cover the FULL FINANCIAL year as

- I haven't applied for MEDICARE even though i could (pointless untill i can't change my VISITOR COVER to a non visitor one)

- I cannot change my VISITOR health cover to a non VISITOR one, giving me the opportunity to access the REBATE and therefore justify the Medicare LEVY

Thank you in advance

Regards

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @homas_amaddeo,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide you with general information here about tax and super topics. To claim an exemption you need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from the Department of Human Services. If you have an questions regarding your Medicare Entitlement Statement you need to contact Medicare directly.

You'll need to include the information in your income tax return so we can work out if you'll need to pay the Medicare levy based on your circumstances. We'll use the dates on the exemption certificate to calculate the amount of levy to pay.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @homas_amaddeo,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide you with general information here about tax and super topics. To claim an exemption you need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from the Department of Human Services. If you have an questions regarding your Medicare Entitlement Statement you need to contact Medicare directly.

You'll need to include the information in your income tax return so we can work out if you'll need to pay the Medicare levy based on your circumstances. We'll use the dates on the exemption certificate to calculate the amount of levy to pay.

Thanks, JodieH.