Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Tax payable whilst on a bridging visa A

Highlighted

Views 5120

Replies 1

Hi

I am currently on a WHV 417  which in March 2019. I am a secondary applicant to a skilled migrant visa (subclass 189) and have a bridging visa A which takes effect in March 2019 when my WHV ends.

I started a new job in January 2019 and on my TFN declaration ticked that I was resident for tax purposes (question 7) and that I wanted to claim the tax free threshold (question 8). I consider that I am resident for tax purposes in light of me being a secondary applicant to the 189 visa and clearly have an intention to stay in the country.

Questions: 

1. Please confirm whether I can claim  the tax free threshold (on question 8 of the TFN declaration.)

1. My bridging visa (A) takes effect in March 2019. Will I  still be taxed as a working holiday maker from  March 2019 onwards (when my bridging visa is in effect)? Or will I be taxed at a different rate? Can you please confirm the position and if I should inform my employer of any actions they need to take.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @AA87,

Thanks for your post. We can help you find tools and information so you can work out your residency for tax purposes, but we can't make the determination for you here on Community.

If you'd like written advice on your tax residency status, you'll need to apply for a private ruling. Private rulings are a free service we offer, where we consider the facts of your situation and advise how we think tax applies. You can download an application form over on our website.

If you are currently earning income on a working holiday maker visa (visa subclasses 417 or 462), you'll be taxed at 15% of your income up to $37,000. If your residency status changes as a result of your new visa(s), different tax rates may apply - check out our info on tax rates to learn  more.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @AA87,

Thanks for your post. We can help you find tools and information so you can work out your residency for tax purposes, but we can't make the determination for you here on Community.

If you'd like written advice on your tax residency status, you'll need to apply for a private ruling. Private rulings are a free service we offer, where we consider the facts of your situation and advise how we think tax applies. You can download an application form over on our website.

If you are currently earning income on a working holiday maker visa (visa subclasses 417 or 462), you'll be taxed at 15% of your income up to $37,000. If your residency status changes as a result of your new visa(s), different tax rates may apply - check out our info on tax rates to learn  more.

Thanks.