Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Tax residency for part year resident

Initiate

Views 478

Replies 1

Hello,

I have a complicated situation to assess my residency and tax declarations requirement:

I worked in Singapore until October 2018, but I was in Australia from mid August to mid October under a 400 visa, working for the Sydney branch of my company (still employed by Singapore). In parallel, my partner and I applied for PR end of October (onshore) and obtained bridging visa. My work contract ended in october. I then stayed in France from Nov18 and definitely (hopefully, if the PR comes through!) settled in Australia early Jan 2019. I have not yet worked since my work contract in Singapore.

For the FY 18-19, when did I became a tax resident in Australia and from what date will I need to declare foreign income ? Do I declare income perceived from X date, or is it on the entire financial year (ending June or ending Dec as the latter applies to Singapore) ?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rwandrall

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however we'd need to know more information about your situation (such as your residency status) to be able to provide a definite answer. 

To receive a tailored response relating to your specific situation, we'd recommend writing to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how the tax law applies to specific situations. They are a free service and we aim to respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @rwandrall

Thanks for getting in touch!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however we'd need to know more information about your situation (such as your residency status) to be able to provide a definite answer. 

To receive a tailored response relating to your specific situation, we'd recommend writing to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how the tax law applies to specific situations. They are a free service and we aim to respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.