Announcements
COVID-19 update: We’ve published information on the Jobkeeper payment, early access to super, and cash boost for businesses and employers. You can also check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Tax return questions

I'm new

Views 634

Replies 2

Good evening, my name is Valeria and I am in the second year of working holiday visa. I'm Italian and As a AIRE member I renounced of my Italian residence,because I would like to set up my life in Australia. I have my own unit, an Australian boyfriend and all my friend are Australian.. am I resident for tax purposes?

last question .. I was from a tax accountant, who told me I do not need to lodge my tax return.. is that right? She didn’t ask me about my situation in Australia.. she only told me that they can’t lodge a tax return for backpacker and that I don’t need to do it.. I would like to everything right..

Waiting for a cordial response,

Thanks for the attention,

Have a good day

Valeria Li Causi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Valeria_lc91,

Thanks for getting in touch!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if you're a resident of Australia for tax purposes and we'd need to know more information about your situation to be able to provide a definite answer. You can find information on our website to help you work out if you're a resident for tax purposes, including information on Residency - working holiday or visit.

If you were on a working holiday visa (417 or 462) you don't need to lodge an income tax return or advise a non-lodgment if you meet both of the below:

• all of your income was earned while you were a working holiday maker, and
  • the total of your taxable income for the income year was less than $37,001.

If your taxable income for the year was more than $37,000 you're required to lodge a return.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

am I resident for tax purposes?

maybe  -  you should work through the residency calculator on the ATO web site   

https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Host/?anchor=AreYouAResident&anchor=AreYouAResident&anc...

a tax accountant, who told me I do not need to lodge my tax return.. is that right?

Does not sound right to me!

If you have a working holiday visa, you should be lodging.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Valeria_lc91,

Thanks for getting in touch!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if you're a resident of Australia for tax purposes and we'd need to know more information about your situation to be able to provide a definite answer. You can find information on our website to help you work out if you're a resident for tax purposes, including information on Residency - working holiday or visit.

If you were on a working holiday visa (417 or 462) you don't need to lodge an income tax return or advise a non-lodgment if you meet both of the below:

• all of your income was earned while you were a working holiday maker, and
  • the total of your taxable income for the income year was less than $37,001.

If your taxable income for the year was more than $37,000 you're required to lodge a return.

If you have further questions, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.