Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

WHV to (Bridging) Partner Visa

Highlighted

Views 814

Replies 4

Hi. I was curious about my tax calculation. I was going to lodge my tax but when I calculated it, it showed I owe $556.85 to ATO.

So I was on WHV from on half of the financial year (July 2018 to mid Jan 2019) and then bridging visa (to get my partner visa) the rest of the financial year (mid Jan 2019 to June 2019).

So I earned :
1. During WHV tax: $19,329.00
Tax withheld 15% : $2,982.00
2. Resident for tax purpose (bridging) : $16,365.00
Tax withheld : $2,444.00

So TOTAL of my tax withheld during this financial year : $5,436.00

However when I tried to see my estimate tax return/owed, it stated that I owe $556.85 to the ATO and also that my taxable income supposed to be $5,972.79.

I got Non-refundable tax offsets as below:
Low & Middle Income : -$255.00
Low Income earner : -$445.00

Also liabilities:
Medicare Levy $710.10

I still don't get it how is this possible?
If I put all my earning to working holiday tax, I even would get about $100 return. If I put them all as resident, I will get over $1,700 return.

I obviously got taxed 19% straight away for my resident for tax purpose earning even though I didn't get any tax-free threshold on my WHV. Also I need to pay in full for my medicare levy (2% of the whole year income) regardless only got my medicare in Feb 2019.

Is the tax estimation always correct or will the tax officer have a proper look into this before send me tax bill?
Thanks for the help!
Xx
Prilly Smiley Very Happy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PrillyPang

Welcome to our Community!

We've had similar queries asked before on our community so check out the information provided on Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for some more information. 

When lodging your return online the estimate you receive is an estimate and may change when your return is processed. The outcome of your return maybe the same as the estimate provide or it may be processed manually and checked if information provided is different to information we have for you.

It's important to lodge your return correctly and as accurately as possible. If you're unsure of how to report information you can use the Live chat function in section 3 and 4 of myTax. This will connect you directly through to an ATO officer who will be able to assist you through lodging your return. If you receive your NOA and don't agree with how your return has been processed you can lodge an objection

Thanks, JodieH. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Medicare levy would only be for the number of days you were considered to be an Australian Resident for tax purposes.

Make sure you get an exemption form.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @PrillyPang

Welcome to our Community!

We've had similar queries asked before on our community so check out the information provided on Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for some more information. 

When lodging your return online the estimate you receive is an estimate and may change when your return is processed. The outcome of your return maybe the same as the estimate provide or it may be processed manually and checked if information provided is different to information we have for you.

It's important to lodge your return correctly and as accurately as possible. If you're unsure of how to report information you can use the Live chat function in section 3 and 4 of myTax. This will connect you directly through to an ATO officer who will be able to assist you through lodging your return. If you receive your NOA and don't agree with how your return has been processed you can lodge an objection

Thanks, JodieH. 

Highlighted

Replies 1

HI prilly, 

Can I ask you how did this all work out for you?

I am on the same situation, as I have my bridging visa since December and I cant figure out how to fill out my TFN Declaration form now on.

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Malena

Thanks for your question.

If you are no longer a working holiday maker (WHM) visa holder, you won't need to select the WHM box at question 8 of the TFN declaration form. The correct box will depend on whether you are a resident for tax purposes.

For more information about how to complete the tax file number declaration as well as how to work out your tax residency, refer to our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR