Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

What's the best business structure for me and my husband starting 2 design businesses?

Views 132

Replies 1

My husband and I both offer design services in two unrelated industries, however there is a high potential of his clients using my service; interior design.

We want to use the same business name (basically our surname, then 'designs'). Also sharing domain name for a website and email addresses.

Should we set up two sole trader ABNs or become a partnership under one ABN? Anybody been in a similar situation? Just wondering which direction makes the most sense, or if there's another option I haven't thought of.

TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JaneV,

If you do plan on sharing business name, domain, email address and both offer design services then partnership may be better suited for you and your husband. With a higher percentage of clients using your service, you may need a partnership agreement in place which states how profits and losses are shared. 

I have found some information about types of business structures and a business structure tool from our website to help you choose the right one. 

All the best!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @JaneV,

If you do plan on sharing business name, domain, email address and both offer design services then partnership may be better suited for you and your husband. With a higher percentage of clients using your service, you may need a partnership agreement in place which states how profits and losses are shared. 

I have found some information about types of business structures and a business structure tool from our website to help you choose the right one. 

All the best!