Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: SOLE TRADER BUSINESS INCOME AND EXPENSES

Views 93

Replies 1

I am a SOLE TRADER with business income and expenses and do NOT pay myself or anyone else Salary and Wages.

I'm trying to do the Business/Sole Trader part of the Income Tax Return 2021.

Under the Business income or losses section > Total salary and wage expenses field, I put 0.00 as the amount because I didn't pay myself. But it comes up with the error message saying "The amount must be at least $1"

What should I do in this case? Ideally, I would like to put 0 as salary expense but it doesn't allow me to.

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @carob1966,

Before you commenced lodging your tax return you would have had to personalise your tax return by selecting the questions relevant to you.

Under the Sole Trader business Income question you might have ticked the box next to Business income statements and payment summaries. This would be the reason the question is displayed for you, not allowing you to enter $0 as it expects you to enter a figure.

If this is the case, you will need untick this box and it should fix the issue and stop the question from appearing. If it doesn't fix the problem please don't hesitate to let us know.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @carob1966,

Before you commenced lodging your tax return you would have had to personalise your tax return by selecting the questions relevant to you.

Under the Sole Trader business Income question you might have ticked the box next to Business income statements and payment summaries. This would be the reason the question is displayed for you, not allowing you to enter $0 as it expects you to enter a figure.

If this is the case, you will need untick this box and it should fix the issue and stop the question from appearing. If it doesn't fix the problem please don't hesitate to let us know.