ATO Community

Re: Overseas person Claiming DASP but cannot cash cheque.

Initiate

Views 78

Replies 1

Hi , a Japanese friend of mine who was working in Australia recently returned home . A few months ago he applied for his ATO held Super using the online DASP form.When it came to the " preferred payment " section , he selected EFT and put in the details of my bank account in Australia which i could then transfer to him  . The form says that this payment is currently only available by EFT to a bank in Australia or by cheque . But for reasons we dont undersatnd he received a Reserve Bank cheque at his home in Japan.  Now his bank in Japan is not handling cheques anymore and the one bank that can cash the cheque is proving to be difficult and asking ridiculously high monthly rates to join.   So my question is twofold , firstly why would they send him a cheque when he chose the EFT option and is it possible to have the ATO cancel the cheque and put the money into an Aussie account using EFT ?  Also does anyone know if there is another way  to cash a cheque in Japan ? 

Thank you .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Carvets,

For ATO-held super, you can only choose EFT to an Australian bank account or cheque.

Though a person can authorise someone else to apply for their DASP, the only way the payment can be deposited into an Australian bank account is if the owner of the Bank account (account name) matches the Superannuation account holder.

Therefore this would be the reason your friend received the money via a cheque, as the account the refund was requested to be deposited into was in your name.

If your friend does not have an Australian bank account then unfortunately, there is no other refund option available other then cheque.

Links

Application for payment of ATO-held superannuation money

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Carvets,

For ATO-held super, you can only choose EFT to an Australian bank account or cheque.

Though a person can authorise someone else to apply for their DASP, the only way the payment can be deposited into an Australian bank account is if the owner of the Bank account (account name) matches the Superannuation account holder.

Therefore this would be the reason your friend received the money via a cheque, as the account the refund was requested to be deposited into was in your name.

If your friend does not have an Australian bank account then unfortunately, there is no other refund option available other then cheque.

Links

Application for payment of ATO-held superannuation money