Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

My son died recently. No Will. How can I find out where his Superannuation is located?

Views 79

Replies 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @WHoward

I'm so sorry for your loss. You've got a couple of options to obtain that information. You could submit a request for a deceased estate data package, which includes tax and super information. This requires you to have a grant of probate or letters of administration. Certified copies of these documents should be included in the request. A nominated legal practitioner can also make this request.

Another option is to submit a 'searching for lost super' form. This will result in a letter being sent to you with a list of known superfunds. You'll need to fill in your son's details in section A and then your contact details in section B. If you're signing the form, you'll need to include certified copies of either a grant of probate or letters of administration. 

I hope this was helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any further help. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @WHoward

I'm so sorry for your loss. You've got a couple of options to obtain that information. You could submit a request for a deceased estate data package, which includes tax and super information. This requires you to have a grant of probate or letters of administration. Certified copies of these documents should be included in the request. A nominated legal practitioner can also make this request.

Another option is to submit a 'searching for lost super' form. This will result in a letter being sent to you with a list of known superfunds. You'll need to fill in your son's details in section A and then your contact details in section B. If you're signing the form, you'll need to include certified copies of either a grant of probate or letters of administration. 

I hope this was helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any further help.