Our ATO Community is here to help make tax and super easier. Ask questions, share your knowledge and discuss your experiences with us and our Community.
20 June 2021
I have a rental property that has been rented out for 3 years. I just have a few questions, thank you for your time.
1. In Vic, I have to do a gas&electrical&smoke alarm safely checks every 2 years. In which categories will this expense be claimed under?
2. The ceiling in 1 of the room fell down. It costed me $2000 to put a new one in. Is this expense immediately deductible?
3. The roller shutters machine was stuck and needed to replace to work again. I paid $550 to replace it, is this expense immediately deductible?
4. The security front door doesn't lock because it was bended out of alignment and the repairer had to replace it. It costed me $550 to replace, is this expense immediately deductible?
5. I have purchased another property this year, I spent $100 in bank cheque fees and bank fees to make deposits to the vendor. Can I claim it this year or is it only deductible when I sell?
Thank you for reading and possibly answering my questions. Many thanks.
Most helpful response
20 June 2021
2) Maybe... have a read on the ATO website about repairs and improvements
3) The motor / machine will be depreciable
4) Probably depreciable, unlikely to be a repair because it was replaced
5) No, only when sold
21 June 2021
This is the Repairs or improvement information that @MCA_Accountants referred too.
Tell us about your ATO Community experience and help us improve it for everyone.
Australian Taxation Office
Working for all Australians