Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Repairs-Claim now or over the years

Views 158

Replies 2

Hello everyone

I have a rental property that has been rented out for 3 years. I just have a few questions, thank you for your time.

1. In Vic, I have to do a gas&electrical&smoke alarm safely checks every 2 years. In which categories will this expense be claimed under?

2. The ceiling in 1 of the room fell down. It costed me $2000 to put a new one in. Is this expense immediately deductible?

3. The roller shutters machine was stuck and needed to replace to work again. I paid $550 to replace it, is this expense immediately deductible?

4. The security front door doesn't lock because it was bended out of alignment and the repairer had to replace it. It costed me $550 to replace, is this expense immediately deductible?

5. I have purchased another property this year, I spent $100 in bank cheque fees and bank fees to make deposits to the vendor. Can I claim it this year or is it only deductible when I sell?

Thank you for reading and possibly answering my questions. Many thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

1) Repairs

2) Maybe... have a read on the ATO website about repairs and improvements

3) The motor / machine will be depreciable

4) Probably depreciable, unlikely to be a repair because it was replaced

5) No, only when sold

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

1) Repairs

2) Maybe... have a read on the ATO website about repairs and improvements

3) The motor / machine will be depreciable

4) Probably depreciable, unlikely to be a repair because it was replaced

5) No, only when sold

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Pebbles192 

This is the Repairs or improvement information that @MCA_Accountants referred too.