Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Ex husband left me with tax bill

Initiate

Views 189

Replies 5

My Ex is a stockbroker. I recently discovered that when we were together he was spreading income across both out TFNs. He refused to give me documents to do my tax return until last week and I finally did 4 years returns.

I earn approx $20k per year and he made my income $90k somehow. So now I have thousands of dollars in tax bills.

how can I get him to pay it as he refuses?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

I am so sorry that happened to you. You should  not be left with a bill. I wouldn't pay it. 

What your ex husband has done is tax evasion. You should tell the ATO and work with them to sort it out. 

Sadly this probably isn't the first time they've seen this sort of thing and probably have a process for it. 

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

I am so sorry that happened to you. You should  not be left with a bill. I wouldn't pay it. 

What your ex husband has done is tax evasion. You should tell the ATO and work with them to sort it out. 

Sadly this probably isn't the first time they've seen this sort of thing and probably have a process for it. 

Initiate

Replies 2

Thank you

I was unsure whether this was legal or not. Our accountant put this through as the Ex has stocks he bought and sold and opened a trust fund and various accounts. The Ex made me sign paper work that I had no idea what it was and now says there is no money. He claims that was what we were living on. If the accountant put this throught then surely it is legal. I just dont understand any of the financial side of trust funds, salary sacrificing etc. We also have a joint SMSF that he runs and he transferred my industry super into. I guess once I get a settlement this may all come out! The problem is being able to pay a lawyer as legal aid wont do a divorce. Do you think the ATO would be able to transfer the debt then?

Devotee

Replies 1

That's really hard. I still suggest opening the lines of communication and talking to the ATO. It really is the first step to sorting it out. 

Perhaps hiring your own tax agent to look at it all for you could also help? Maybe having someone on your side could help you navigate your way through? 

Irrelevant of which way you go Id make a tip off to the ATO about what he's done.

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/gen/making-a-tip-off/

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks I will 

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hey @JulesF 

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm really glad you've found us and have asked the question. A great first step! 

What @wonka5 has said is right. It sounds like tax evasion. We take these kinds of situations very seriously, so I'd really encourage you to submit our tip-off form. It's all done online and only takes a couple of minutes.  That way, you can leave your worries with our team who look into these sorts of situations.

I've also just sent you an email (to the email address you registered with on ATO Community). Please let me know if you don't receive it. 

Of course, reach out to us if you have any other questions or concerns. We're here to support you as much as we can.