ATO Community

Re: Foreign Resident or Australian for tax purposes

Views 39

Replies 2

Hello. If someone worked for an Australian company getting paid to an Australian bank account and superannuation, working as a tour guide overseas in Asia for 3 years. Can you tell me if they are considered an Australian or Foreign resident for tax purposes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @telly,

There are a number of factors that need to be considered when assessing your Australian residency status for tax purposes. The assessment is self-determined, meaning that you need to look at your circumstances in combination with our online residency tools that are designed to help you work it out.

I'll provide some links below. The first link provides information on aspects you need to consider and a few common examples. The second link provides a decision-making tool. It's relatively easy and should only take between 5-10 minutes for you to complete, and there's also a simple table further down the page that provides some clarity.

Hopefully these help.

ATO Website- Your tax residency

ATO Website- Your residency status for tax purposes (online decision-making tool)

RachATO

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @telly,

There are a number of factors that need to be considered when assessing your Australian residency status for tax purposes. The assessment is self-determined, meaning that you need to look at your circumstances in combination with our online residency tools that are designed to help you work it out.

I'll provide some links below. The first link provides information on aspects you need to consider and a few common examples. The second link provides a decision-making tool. It's relatively easy and should only take between 5-10 minutes for you to complete, and there's also a simple table further down the page that provides some clarity.

Hopefully these help.

ATO Website- Your tax residency

ATO Website- Your residency status for tax purposes (online decision-making tool)

RachATO

Replies 0

Thank you for your reply. The tool came in handy and it asked me to save the result for tax purposes.