Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Holden Colorado Ute

Views 69

Replies 3

Hi,

I have a client who is just a wage earner.

I get confused with cars because I am not a car person. 

Client has a 2021 Holden Colrado Ute. He uses it for work. 

Is he required to keep a logbook to claim under the logbook method? Or is there an exemption for it?

Thanks

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @anthony_cez

Utes are classed as Other Vehicles rather than a Car.

To work out deductions for Other Vehicles, he'll need to claim the actual costs related to the work use of the ute. Other methods such as cents per kilometre or the logbook method can't be used for Other Vehicles.

For more information, refer to Using someone else's car or other vehicle on the Car expenses page on our website.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @anthony_cez

Utes are classed as Other Vehicles rather than a Car.

To work out deductions for Other Vehicles, he'll need to claim the actual costs related to the work use of the ute. Other methods such as cents per kilometre or the logbook method can't be used for Other Vehicles.

For more information, refer to Using someone else's car or other vehicle on the Car expenses page on our website.

Replies 0

Great, so can I use this information that you have provided to substantiate the client using the actual expense?

Does this also go for dual cabs?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @anthony_cez

It depends on if the vehicle is a car or not. For income tax purposes, a car is a motor vehicle (excluding motorcycles and similar vehicles) that carry loads less than one tonne and less than nine passengers. Many four-wheel drive vehicles are included in this definition. If the vehicle does not fit both points, it won't be a car, and the client must use the actual cost method.

This means the client will need to use the actual cost method. If there's any private use, they need to work out their private use and be able to substantiate it. They may find it easiest to hold a log book for this purpose.