Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

I am very confused why as an Australian citizen

I'm new

Views 453

Replies 4

Why do I need to pay tax when many many Asian prostitutes earning three times the amount of money I do pay nothing.?

is it not a reasonable question to pose that if an Asian prostitute earns $5000 or more tax free cash a week and abuses the system for themselves, is it then justifiable that a hard working Australian citizen earning less than half that has to pick up their tab.?

it is a seriously flawed system that needs some serious attention 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Pj2,

I can hear that you’re feeling frustrated about this situation and I want to assure you that irrelevant of job or background, we do want everyone to be doing the right thing.

As @Fluxpavillion has pointed out, we need to be careful with assumptions as transacting in cash is not (by itself) illegal, and most businesses do the right thing. Unfortunately, some also receive cash in hand to avoid reporting their income like you’ve said.

When it comes to these cases, we take the black economy very seriously and have a Tax Integrity Centre dedicated to ensuring Australians are making the right decisions to meet their tax obligations. 

But we can’t do it alone, we need your help to make sure everyone plays fair. If you suspect someone isn’t doing the right thing, I encourage you to make a tip-off to let us know what’s happening so we can investigate.

All the best
4 REPLIES 4

Devotee

Replies 0

@Pj2 how many prostitutes do you know? What contact have you had with these prostitutes to know if they pay tax or not? They work hard too I know it's not a job for me! 

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Pj2,

I can hear that you’re feeling frustrated about this situation and I want to assure you that irrelevant of job or background, we do want everyone to be doing the right thing.

As @Fluxpavillion has pointed out, we need to be careful with assumptions as transacting in cash is not (by itself) illegal, and most businesses do the right thing. Unfortunately, some also receive cash in hand to avoid reporting their income like you’ve said.

When it comes to these cases, we take the black economy very seriously and have a Tax Integrity Centre dedicated to ensuring Australians are making the right decisions to meet their tax obligations. 

But we can’t do it alone, we need your help to make sure everyone plays fair. If you suspect someone isn’t doing the right thing, I encourage you to make a tip-off to let us know what’s happening so we can investigate.

All the best

Devotee

Replies 1

@JoshH whats the black economy? Is the Tax Integrity Centre part of the ATO?

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Fluxpavillion,

Great questions. When we talk about the black economy, we're generally referring to any sort of illegal activity where people are deliberately doing the wrong thing. It includes a range of behaviours from underreporting income to avoid paying tax to money laundering and identity fraud. To help us tackle these behaviours, we have a team at the ATO called the Tax Integrity Centre which investigates reports of suspected or known behaviours from the community.  

You can read about the black economy and the Tax Integrity Centre in more detail on our website.

Let me know if you have any further questions Smiley Happy