Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Overseas Marriage at the End of the Financial Year

Views 51

Replies 1

Hello, 

I, an Australia Citizen, made 23,000 dollars from a part-time job from June 2020 - end of March 2021. I was then let go due to the end of job keeper and visited my boyfriend in the USA and got married. Do I declare him as a spouse considering we weren't married while I was working and for the large majority of the last financial year? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Rachael3145,

If you are still a resident for tax purposes, then you will need to include your spouse in your tax return. 

When lodging your return it will ask if you had a spouse for the full financial year or part year, when selecting part year it will ask for the date they commenced to be your spouse.

The fact that they were not your spouse at the time you earned your income has no bearing including them in your tax return.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Rachael3145,

If you are still a resident for tax purposes, then you will need to include your spouse in your tax return. 

When lodging your return it will ask if you had a spouse for the full financial year or part year, when selecting part year it will ask for the date they commenced to be your spouse.

The fact that they were not your spouse at the time you earned your income has no bearing including them in your tax return.