Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Tax deductions when receiving Austudy

Views 92

Replies 4

Hello all

When I was working full time I owned two properties. I have since sold them and gone back to uni where Im grateful to be receiving Austudy (ie not taxable income).

In the last financial year my accountant fee was something like $730 as he had a bit of work to do finalising tax matters after the sale of the properties.

I noticed that the ~$730 tax deduction made no difference ~ is this because Im not even in the realm of being taxed, so a tax deduction whether $10 or $1000, makes no difference? It was quite a hit as a student, so Im just checking if this is right.

Thanks in advance!

Kindest,

Lauren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

That is correct. If you are not paying tax, a deduction gives you no value.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

That is correct. If you are not paying tax, a deduction gives you no value.

Replies 2

Thankyou so much!

Im wondering why they even asked about my tax deductions when my below tax threshold income was prefilled by them already ie they knew tax deductions wouldnt make a difference?

Is it because tax deductions can be carried over to the next financial year... if I was to get a job and be in taxable bracket it could be deducted then?

Many thanks and this is my last Q! ; )

Devotee

Replies 1

By "they", I presume you mean the ATO. They ask because they have to, not because because they have calculated whether or not it will make a difference.

Only if you have a loss (negative taxable income) can deductions be carried forwards.

Replies 0

Thankyou so much!