Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Tax free threshold

Views 181

Replies 2

I already  have an employer from whom I am claiming the tax free threhold. I am starting a second job and it will pay a higher rate. Therefore, I should transfer the claim for tax free threshold to this employer. Is this organised at the ATO level or do I have to negotiate this with the employers involved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @KGmsk,

You'll need to change who you claim the tax-free threshold from on your side. This is done by providing a withholding declaration to your employer. On this declaration you'll tick whether you want to claim the threshold or not. You'll need to notify both of your employers.

As you're starting a new job you'll need to notify your employer of your tax file number through a TFN declaration. This also has a section for the tax-free threshold notice. So what you can do (if you haven't handed anything to your new employer) is hand your old employer a withholding declaration and your new one a TFN declaration. 

If you've already handed in a TFN declaration to your new employer you can just hand them a withholding declaration if changes are required.

Links:

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @KGmsk,

You'll need to change who you claim the tax-free threshold from on your side. This is done by providing a withholding declaration to your employer. On this declaration you'll tick whether you want to claim the threshold or not. You'll need to notify both of your employers.

As you're starting a new job you'll need to notify your employer of your tax file number through a TFN declaration. This also has a section for the tax-free threshold notice. So what you can do (if you haven't handed anything to your new employer) is hand your old employer a withholding declaration and your new one a TFN declaration. 

If you've already handed in a TFN declaration to your new employer you can just hand them a withholding declaration if changes are required.

Links:

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions.

Replies 0

Thank you very much. This is very helpful