Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Why did i get taxed so much. Last time i got income 873 and they taxed me until only 630 left...

I'm new

Views 95

Replies 1

Is that taxed refundable at the end of financial year? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Marchel,

There are different reasons why a withheld amount may change. Some examples include if you have worked more hours over the shift period, if you have made changes to claiming the tax-free threshold (if you have more than one job and claiming the threshold from another employer), if they're applying a tax rate for a non-resident or working holiday maker, you've possibly declared the employer of a HECS/Trade support loan that requires re-payment. These are just a few things that may result in a higher amount of tax being withheld from you.

You can use our Tax Withheld for individuals calculator and through checking the relevant boxes, it will provide an outcome of how much tax should be withheld. If this amount is different to your recent payslip, then it might be a good idea to check directly with the employer on how they're applying tax to your pays.

When you lodge your income tax return for the year, we will work out if too much or not enough tax has been withheld. If too much has been withheld, this will likely result in a tax credit which is typically refunded to you if you're entitled to the credit.

Hopefully this helps!

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Marchel,

There are different reasons why a withheld amount may change. Some examples include if you have worked more hours over the shift period, if you have made changes to claiming the tax-free threshold (if you have more than one job and claiming the threshold from another employer), if they're applying a tax rate for a non-resident or working holiday maker, you've possibly declared the employer of a HECS/Trade support loan that requires re-payment. These are just a few things that may result in a higher amount of tax being withheld from you.

You can use our Tax Withheld for individuals calculator and through checking the relevant boxes, it will provide an outcome of how much tax should be withheld. If this amount is different to your recent payslip, then it might be a good idea to check directly with the employer on how they're applying tax to your pays.

When you lodge your income tax return for the year, we will work out if too much or not enough tax has been withheld. If too much has been withheld, this will likely result in a tax credit which is typically refunded to you if you're entitled to the credit.

Hopefully this helps!

RachATO