Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: tax treatment of dividends of ETFs - which financial year do you include them?

I'm new

Views 110

Replies 3

Hi: i am an australian resident. I received  dividends from some ETFs which were paid on 15 July 2021. I assumed that i would include these in my 2021-2022 tax return, like share dividends. However, i have now read that these dividends must be included in my 2020-2021 tax return and cannot verify it else with further reading.  Is this correct? If it is correct, would it matter if I do include them in my 2021-2022 tax return. I wpuld appreciate some clarification. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gohawkers

Generally you declare it in the year its paid or credited to you so 2021-2022 FY if you were paid 15 July 2021. See our website for help completing the dividend section of your tax return.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @gohawkers

Generally you declare it in the year its paid or credited to you so 2021-2022 FY if you were paid 15 July 2021. See our website for help completing the dividend section of your tax return.

Replies 1

Hi AriH,

I think more information is required in order to answer this question.  I'm in a similar situation. I received something called an 'Attribution Managed Investment Trust Member Annual Statement for the year ended 30 June 2021' for an ETF which paid a distribution on 16/7/2021.  The Tax guide provided by my ETF manager says

'Distributions from your Fund will need to be included in your tax return in the year of attribution, not the year of receipt. This means that distributions for the year ended 30 June 2021 should be included in your 2021 tax return, even though you may not have received payment for all of those distributions until July 2021.'  

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @msmiljanic

If you receive the dividends on 15 July 2021, it needs to be included your 2022 income tax return. 

We've had this question before, and you can see our response here: Are dividends taxed when paid or when declared?