Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Travel expenses for second job

I'm new

Views 129

Replies 1

Hi,

I am looking to perform a second job with a second employer on Fridays in another city. My primary job is Monday to Thursday. 
As the job would be in a fly-in fly-out type of arrangement for the day, I was wondering if the flights (likely Thursday night, returning Saturday) would be tax deductible as they are incurred in earning money with the second job.

kind regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jake4000,

Generally travel between home to work and work to home (including the cost of flights), is not tax deductible. Even if it's for a 2nd job, you would need to be eligible to claim it. If you were travelling from one workplace to another, you may be able to claim the expense but this is not the scenario you are advising on.

We have answered a similar post on our forum, you can view our response here.

All the best.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jake4000,

Generally travel between home to work and work to home (including the cost of flights), is not tax deductible. Even if it's for a 2nd job, you would need to be eligible to claim it. If you were travelling from one workplace to another, you may be able to claim the expense but this is not the scenario you are advising on.

We have answered a similar post on our forum, you can view our response here.

All the best.