Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: SMSF property with a tenant in common - can other tenant rent the property?

Views 27

Replies 1

If I purchased a property with my parents' SMSF as a tenant in common, could I live in and rent the property? I know related parties can't live in an SMSF property, just want to know if the situation differs if the related party is a tenant in common?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

If I purchased a property with my parents' SMSF as a tenant in common, could I live in and rent the property?

No.

I know related parties can't live in an SMSF property, just want to know if the situation differs if the related party is a tenant in common?

No.  Tenant in common ownership fixes % ownership, but does not allow one owner to say that their share of the property is a particular area.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Taxicorn Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

If I purchased a property with my parents' SMSF as a tenant in common, could I live in and rent the property?

No.

I know related parties can't live in an SMSF property, just want to know if the situation differs if the related party is a tenant in common?

No.  Tenant in common ownership fixes % ownership, but does not allow one owner to say that their share of the property is a particular area.