ATO Community

If I rent a car for uber eats, who should declare the income? me or owner?

Views 109

Replies 1

Hi ,

I am wondering if I rent a car that has been registerated for Uber Eats and I start to earn income out of it. Who should declare the income?

I guess it's 99% will be me but the confuse part is that the ABN/TFN details belong to the car owner. 

Does that means that I earn income for somebodyelse's ABN and TFN? I am a bit confused. It would be greatly appreciated if I can get a clarification. Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Taylor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BTMIE

You would be the one declaring the income you earn working as an Uber Eats driver. The rent you are paying becomes an expense, and the person receiving the rent would declare that as income for themselves.

You're not earning income for anyone elses ABN in a sense. Instead you're earning income for your ABN (If you have one) and paying someone else for a service (rental of a vehicle). 

Hope this helped clarify that, let us know if you have any further questions.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @BTMIE

You would be the one declaring the income you earn working as an Uber Eats driver. The rent you are paying becomes an expense, and the person receiving the rent would declare that as income for themselves.

You're not earning income for anyone elses ABN in a sense. Instead you're earning income for your ABN (If you have one) and paying someone else for a service (rental of a vehicle). 

Hope this helped clarify that, let us know if you have any further questions.